Popular Posts

Thursday, March 10, 2011

misinformation

My name is really not that important, my story and my struggles,and more importantly the everyday day struggles of my fellow human beings are, to me anyway; and hopefully a few other with some sort of social awareness. I will therefore  try to retain my own person anonymity as to insure i have no other agenda but bring to light some of what homeless persons go through and also hope to dis-spell some antiquated notions and prejudiced ideas about homelessness. I guess the first is that homeless people are "winos" or "bums" and they are all addicts and do nothing but panhandle on street corners or that they are "crazy" and yes there are many that fit those categories but that does not mean they need help as well, quite the contrary.Another is that they just need to get a job, which i was to  find much easier said than done. Imagine as hard as things are right now trying to find a job with limited skills, no phone, no clothes to wear to interview or work in as most shelters make you take all your belongings with you when you leave, i could go on but maybe you see my point. There is also a new class of homelessness out there due to the economy. People who who through maybe a bad choice or two and loss of a job suddenly in a place they never imagined they would be. it is unfortunate but some of you probably don't realize how close you you are, give it a thought..I didn't and and am now homeless.i was one of the lucky ones who crossed paths with some people who care and writing this is part of expressing my gratitude.I don't panhandle, spend my my money on alcohol or sleep in park but my situation is precarious as well. we live in a time when the politicos and policy makers are more worried about keeping their electorate happy and not necessarily doing whats right. if you are as like minded as me get people to speak up, encourage people to register to vote, lend a hand, smile at a homeless person today, do something !!! Congress is going to look  for ways to cut more money and the money that gets cut will be for those least able to stand up and say something about it....... well enough for today, c- ya soon, probably tomorrow.....

No comments: